Prof. Wil van der Aalst
Prof.dr.ir. Wil van der Aalst is a full professor of Information Systems at the Technische Universiteit Eindhoven (TU/e). At TU/e he is the scientific director of the Data Science Center Eindhoven (DSC/e). Since 2003 he holds a part-time position at Queensland University of Technology (QUT). Currently, he is also a visiting researcher at Fondazione Bruno Kessler (FBK) in Trento and a member of the Board of Governors of Tilburg University. His personal research interests include process mining, Petri nets, business process management, workflow management, process modeling, and process analysis.
Wil van der Aalst has published more than 200 journal papers, 20 books (as author or editor), 450 refereed conference/workshop publications, and 65 book chapters. Many of his papers are highly cited (he one of the most cited computer scientists in the world and has an H-index of over 130 according to Google Scholar with over 75,000 citations) and his ideas have influenced researchers, software developers, and standardization committees working on process support.
- He has been a co-chair of many conferences including the Business Process Management conference, the International Conference on Cooperative Information Systems, the International conference on the Application and Theory of Petri Nets, and the IEEE International Conference on Services Computing. He is also editor/member of the editorial board of several journals, including Business & Information Systems Engineering, Computing, Distributed and Parallel Databases, Software and Systems Modeling, Computer Supported Cooperative Work, the International Journal of Business Process Integration and Management, the International Journal on Enterprise Modelling and Information Systems Architectures, Computers in Industry, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, and Transactions on Petri Nets and Other Models of Concurrency.
- He is also a member of the Council for Physics and Technical Sciences of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences and serves in the advisory boards of several organizations, including Fluxicon, Celonis, and Processgold. In 2012, he received the degree of doctor honoris causa from Hasselt University in Belgium.
- He also served as scientific director of the International Laboratory of Process-Aware Information Systems of the National Research University, Higher School of Economics in Moscow.
- In 2013, he was appointed as Distinguished University Professor of TU/e and was awarded an honorary guest professorship at Tsinghua University. In 2015, he was appointed as honorary professor at the National Research University, Higher School of Economics in Moscow.
- He is also a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen), Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities (Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen) and the Academy of Europe (Academia Europaea).