The Nutrient Platform
Life on earth depends on nutrients. Phosphorus is an essential component of fertilizers and crucial for the world’s food supply system. Since there is no alternative for phosphorus, we urgently need to recover it from our ‘waste’ streams, recycle it and use it more sustainably. The Nutrient Platform unites water, agriculture, waste and chemistry together with the government, knowledge institutes and NGOs to achieve this goal.
36 Dutch parties representing businesses, knowledge institutes, NGOs and the government are member of the Nutrient Platform. Our joint ambition is to create a market for recycled nutrients in which:
- As many nutrients as possible are recovered from ‘waste’ streams (wastewater, sludge, manure, swill) and recycled into valuable new products (fertilizers, animal feed, chemicals)
- The recovered nutrients are exported to contribute to soil improvement and food security elsewhere, in case of a surplus on the Dutch market
We believe in realizing the circular economy with this approach.
In practice, the members of the Nutrient Platform are achieving these goals by:
- Developing innovative cross-sectoral business cases on nutrient recycling
- Improving Dutch and European legislation that helps turning ‘waste’ into resources
- Creating awareness about sustainable nutrient management
- Linking a joint knowledge agenda to business demand
Furthermore, the Nutrient Platform has initiated and realized the European Sustainable Phosphorus Platform (ESPP). ESPP brings together companies and other stakeholders to address the phosphorus challenge and its opportunities.